Thursday 16 March 2006


I saw on the 'news' tonight that John Travolta has been slated to play JR Ewing in the Dallas Movie. I can't even begin to see how a Dallas movie has any chance of being a hit, or why anyone thought it was even something that should have ever been considered as a movie at any time anyway. The Blockbusterisation of 80's television shows is so hot right now of course, remembering that Jamie Foxx and Colin Farrell are about to mess it up big time as Crockett and Tubbs. And I can't imagine what Willie Nelson thinks about in the dark times now, after being a part of the new Dukes of Hazzard. A chill passed through me, therefore, as I was reminded that a 'redux' of my second favourite show is continually rumoured to be in the works. Once a year it seems, an updated version of Magnum P.I. is whispered to be just around the corner, with George Clooney most recently tipped to don the Hawaiian shirt and Tigers cap. Utterly ridiculous of course, seeing how Tom Selleck is still alive, and rather looks like Magnum yet, even, I imagine, in those little khaki shorts. Magnum P.I, while not exactly timeless -think again of those shorts- is still entertaining and the series even gets pretty dark near the end. It originally finished with Magnum being shot to death, if you remember, but Ol' Thomas wasn't going out like that, one recalls, and we can thank Higgins for calling him back from heaven with tales of the boys in the war. (A pint of stout!)

I think right now that it would be best for each of us to take a little time out of our busy days to stop and remember fondly the adventures of that merry band of rapscallions. (For those of you that know Thomas Magnum Moose, perhaps you'd care to do the dance). For tonight, Theodore Calvin, Orville Wilbur 'Rick' Wright and Thomas Sullivan Magnum, I raise my Tsingtao to you. I'll have a touch of port for you later, Higgy-baby, and in the meantime, I continue to pray that no one is ever foolish enough to desecrate the glorious memories of your wonderful television show. Of course, I also pray that these guys, on the other hand, mercifully takes their rightful place on the big screen.

If you want a whole lot more Magnum and you want it in German, click here
If you want to know how I really feel, click here

1 comment:

brokenengine said...

So, wait. Magnum is NOT your favourite TV show? I thought it was. I still think its one of the best shows, like, ever. Although, have you seen the New Battlestar Gallactica? If not, go rent season one. Brilliant.

Yeah, Mr. Selleck STILL looks like Magnum. Someone else would be stupid. And anyway, I would heop they wouldn't do something stupid like have the movie be Magnum still in the 80's. Have Selleck play an older, wiser, but stil the same 'ol Magnum.