Sunday 30 July 2006

From The Pacific To The Atlantic - A Photo Record

Day 7 - Wawa to Parry Sound

As ugly as T. Bay to Nipigon was, the drive from Wawa south is proportionally gorgeous. The East coast of Lake Superior is amazing. It reminded me a lot of the West coast of Vancouver Island, albeit with smaller waves. Day 7 was the worst day for photography; it was foggy in the morning, and then every picture we tried to take afterwards had a guardrail or a stupid tree in the way. But we did stop for a very private and secluded swim in the big lake, and that made the rest of the day a delight. Plus we were headed to Parry Sound to see my dad and Nancy, and to revisit the place where we got married. Lovely. On the way we stopped in Blind River, where my mother was born and where her father, the grandfather I never met, along with some of his buddies, built the Legion hall. It is pictured below.











2 comments:

brokenengine said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
brokenengine said...

This travel journal SURE takes me back, as I've been on several cross Canada trips. Every Town reminds me of Charleston in the movie "Slap Shot", except AFTER the movie ends, when the mill closes and no one's around. Oh, and it's also still 1972.

Yes, Bruce Mines, ON is exactly like that. The only entertainment my family found in that town was that the town's only Restaurant that didn't have the word "diner" unceremoniously caboosed onto it's name (and a 3 star rating too! Although by who's guide? The Bruce Mine's Gazette? The Duluth Examiner? Sasquatch?) was named "Krapholes". Even my relatively provincial (no pun intended) teenage-know-nothing-from-Newmarket tastes knew this was not a misnomer.