Monday 26 March 2007

Upset! Not since the 1919 Sanford Memorial Stakes, when 'Man O' War' lost to the horse that gave his name to coin the phrase, has there been a bigger one. Sunday night, March 25th, Blackbirds actually won a game. I suppose it wasn't really that big of an upset; we were playing the second last team, but being so long since we've tasted victory, it's sweeter than I remember. And I wasn't even on the field! Still serving the suspension, I acted as Offensive Coordinator - keeping track of time and ordering line changes. Is it coincidence that we happened to score more goals that in any other game in recent Blackbirds history? I think so! But roll on Balckbirds, San Paolo's up next...let's see if we can't repeat the magic.



In Wallace & Son Antiques News, 'The Lamp', as predicted, did better than some around our camp expected. Again, there was a last minute flurry of activity, and we more than quintupled our reserve price. Not bad.

Next up is a charming little piece of pottery from the mid-30s. This wee gem is a Crown Devon Musical Tankard, and I think it was probably a little suggestive back in its day. Rumour has it that there are two more somewhere in the Newmarket Antiques Mall for $15 a piece, and that Grammy Gallagher has one too. I expect that this will be the first item to come in under $100, but we shall see.

No comments: